The Community Weather Information Network (Co-WIN) is a joint public education initiative between the Hong Kong Observatory (HKO), the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) and the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). It was established in 2007 to serve as a platform for providing real-time weather information to the public via the internet. In 2009 an Executive Committee (ExCo) was set up to steer the development of Co-WIN.
- To disseminate referential meteorological information to the public;
- To promote education on meteorology and environmental science through the Co-WIN platform;
- To share the data collected between members of the Co-WIN.
Non-profit educational institutions or community organizations are welcome to become a member.
A Co-WIN member institution is required to:
- Install an automatic weather stations (AWS) following the professional advices provided by HKO, PolyU and CUHK;
- Latitude and longitude of the location of the AWS;
- Photos of the environments in the four cardinal directions around the AWS for displaying in the photo gallery of the Co-WIN webpage;
- A list of the parameters being collected;
- Send standard-formatted data to the Co-WIN server for quality assurance check and display;
- Maintain the AWS in reliable working condition.
A Co-WIN member institution can:
- Attain membership certificate;
- Download educational materials and meteorological data from the Co-WIN website;
- Borrow equipment for performing related educational activities;
- Participate in activities organized by HKO, PolyU and CUHK, including training courses, visits to meteorological stations and radar stations of HKO and others;
- Assign staff to run in election of ExCo member of Co-WIN;
- Link of the member institution website to be displayed on the Co-WIN webpage;
- Use the Co-WIN logo in appropriate occasions for indicating their membership;
- Please refer to Contact Us for more information on the application procedure.
Please refer to Contact Us for more information on the application procedure.